Sessions

From here you can submit a session idea and/or vote for session ideas you’d like to see presented. Be creative, the only limitation is your imagination. To submit a session start by using the search feature. To vote, click on the appropriate button on the session already submitted which interests you.

Be sure and specify in your description whether you are volunteering to lead the session, or if you are suggesting a session you’d like to attend.

You have 10 votes in total. You can always redistribute your votes if a great session gets submitted after you’ve used all 10.

Don’t forget to register to attend at:http://www.productcampvancouver.org. See you at ProductCamp Vancouver!

An idea for a great session would be...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Machine Learning for Product Managers - An Intro (Part 1 of 2)

This first interactive session will be the primer for “Machine Learning for Product Managers - Developing a Business Case”. Questions we aim to answer include the following:

→ What is machine learning
    → What types of problems can be solved by machine learning
    → What types of problems are better suited for statistical methods
    → Where to look for machine learning opportunities
    • Features: For your existing products
    • Management: Customer analytics / segmentation
    → Are you ready for machine learning?
    • How to assess your data maturity level.
    • Is your data good enough?
    • Will machine learning work…

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Machine Learning for Product Managers - Developing a business case (Part 2 of 2)

This second interactive session builds upon “Machine Learning for Product Managers - An Intro”. Questions we aim to answer include the following:

→ Main complexity drivers (deployment setting, online/offline learning, data bigness)
      → How to estimate costs of implementation
      • Overview of off the shelf tools
      • Overview of what a dev structure may look like
      • High level overview on how to scale a machine learning solution (i.e. With cloud based solutions or physical infrastructure.)
      → How to estimate potential ROI
      → How to write a successful business case for a product with machine learning

Speaker Bios:

Paul Save…

63 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • How we re-platformed an app with 175,000+ users in under a year

Join Steven Harbaruk and Mark Hazlett from Clio as they walk you through the story of Clio’s Apollo Project. The mission was simple: rebuild and redesign the entire Clio App solving for usability, scalability, and maintainability. We’ll go through the successes, failures, and things we completely missed. Be sure to join this brutally honest discussion if you’re embarking on a seemingly insurmountable project.

44 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • How to break into product management?

Product management is one of the hottest jobs in tech today, which means landing a role can get quite competitive, especially for newcomers.

Learn from recent, first-time Product Managers about what worked for them and how they got their first role.

Stewart Rogers (Director of Product Management, Lambda Solutions & Co-Founder of Product Camp) has volunteered to moderate.

38 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • How to Get Sales to Stop Selling Your Roadmap

Is your sales team controlling your roadmap? Learn how data and training can help!

During this session, we will discuss the reasons why sales teams constantly beg product managers for new features and identify why they insist on selling the roadmap. Learn how you can solve this frustrating problem by showcasing data to prove ROI, and build a training cadence to strengthen the relationship between product and sales. Create product allies in your sales team by giving them the data they need to close deals.

27 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Women in product and tech leadership - panel

Is it so much harder to be a woman leader in tech world, or is it a bit of an overstatement? What kind of challenges do we have to face every day being one of a few females in the whole office? Is there any difference in female leadership style, or is it even a thing? Exploring all these tricky questions with a panel of inspirational female leaders, and men are very welcome to join us!

26 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Using Improv Comedy To Become a Better Product Manager

Yes, and! Take concepts from improv comedy and apply them to your Product Management life!

Learning improv has had notable impacts on my life, including my Product Management Career. In this discussion, I want to discuss how improv has made me a better Product Manager, and how you can take concepts from improv and apply them to your work as a Product Manager.

Improv exercises and (perhaps) some games will be provided in the session!

21 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Everything Product Managers wanted to know about Digital Marketing but were afraid to ask...

Product Managers and Marketers today are told that digital marketing is the key to success, even the central pillar of what makes marketing strategies hunt. One of the critical reasons for selecting digital marketing programs is the ability to track and assess the results of marketing programs run on platforms such as Google, Facebook, Instagram. However, the information that these and other digital media providers deliver can lead marketers to erroneous conclusions and the investment of marketing dollars into low ROI choices.

The session will present learning from various digital media experts that include best practices. Participants will be able…

20 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Launch your product the right way!

Each year over 20,000 new SKUs are brought to the market in North America. Over 90% of these products will fail within the first two years of launch. This session will touch on two specific strategies – one related to the consumer and one related to retailers – that will assist marketers to develop product launch programs that will maximize the chances for success in the marketplace. Participants will be able to ask questions to assess how these strategies can relate to their own industry.

20 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Product Management for Data & Analytics-Based Products

As products based on big data and analytics become more and more common, are product management best practices keeping up? What special considerations do product managers in this space need to make?For example, I've struggled with making sure user personas and use cases are specific enough to provide clarity, but still general enough to allow the creation of general-purpose BI tools for decision making support.

I can kick off this discussion with some examples of how we have solved particular customer queries with generalized solutions at Elsevier, an information and analytics company and one the world's major suppliers of scientific,…

17 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Your Product and Your Baby

During the past two years I’ve faced my toughest challenge yet; being a new parent. It’s also the most important challenge; the life of someone I love literally depends on it. The stakes were high and my experience was lacking, so I learnt a lot. The other challenge I’ve spent much of my remaining time on in the last two years is a more familiar one; that of being a product manager.

Spending most of my time immersed in these two threads eventually led to me tying them together; pondering where the two disciplines overlap, and where they are different.…

15 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Admin →
                        • How to get the Government of Canada to test your innovation (BCIP)

Do you have an pre-commercial innovative good or service to sell?
                          Have you created something that has not hit the marketplace yet?
                          Do you want to be able to say that the Federal Government was your companies’ first reference sale?
                          If you answered YES, to any of these questions, then the Build In Canada Innovation Program may be right for you!

What is the Build In Canada Innovation Program Anyway?
                          If you have a new, market ready innovation, the Government of Canada wants to be your first customer! Your innovation will then be evaluated; if your innovation is deemed a…

11 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Why products like organics sell and what can we learn about consumer insights?

Over the last 10 years, organics has moved from a niche product group either available only at Natural Product retailers like Whole Foods or in a small section at the back of a grocery store. Today, it is a growth engine for retailers as diverse as Kroger, Trader Joe’s and Target. However, it is the insights about why consumers choose organic over conventional grocery products that provide insights applicable to ownable differentiation across any category.

This session will present learning from the organic industry and relate that to general strategies for differentiation. Participants will be able to ask questions about…

11 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • I P 4 U - How and when to consider intellectual property as part of what you do.

I would like to lead a session on IP. I would also welcome a panel, if others want to join me, and I can facilitate the session. IP, or intellectual property pervades business and competition. The range of IP can vary depending on what industry you are working in and what area in the product ideation, validation, production, and delivery life cycle you are working on. These are areas that touch on every product manager's work and it is helpful to have a basis of knowledge about IP. Having some detailed examples can also arm you with some deadly throwing…

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Product Innovation Management ... the 4th Product Management variant.

Currently in Pragmatic Marketing we talk about the triad of Strategic Product Manager, Technical Product Manager (Product Owner) and Marketing Product Manager. I believe there is a new 4th variant of the Product Manager that is emerging that is focused on Product Innovation (see https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/product-manager-innovation-nick-jones/). Glassdoor even recognizes this position (https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salaries/product-innovation-manager-salary-SRCH_KO0,26.htm ). I would be happy to present my thoughts on this (I have a deck) and would love to facilitate a discussion with peers in the Product Management space about this proposed addition to the Product Management triad.

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • What personality types make the best Product Managers?

Most of us have had experiences with successful and less successful Product Managers. We may even have this notion of our own success / lack of success in the area of Product Management. One way to look at this is by reviewing the different personality types (e.g. https://www.truity.com/view/types ) and considering which ones might be the most successful in Product Management. For those that are interested you can determine your personallity type online at the Myers Brings website (see https://www.mbtionline.com/ ). I would be happy to share my thoughts on this and facilitate a discussion about this topic.

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                  • TRACk Your Flow - The Lost Art of Concept Modeling Series

Customer Journey Flow or Value Chain or Business Process, whichever you use it is important to walk a mile in the shoes of your customer.

It is important to capture these important steps during early product iteration.

But... this is going to take days, no weeks to compile all of this information?

Not at all! The information can be presented in a way that Mere Mortals can easily understand and participate leading to better requirements engagement from customers and stakeholders.

Andrew Rose will walk participants through an easy process or flow facilitation technique which you can use right away with…

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • How to survive the 3 layer cake / innovation in the corporate environment!

Product innovation inside of a large corporation can be very challenging given the different layers of leadership and management in the organisation. One way to look at it is to think of the organisation as a 3 layer cake: fluffy top layer full of vision and goals, solid bottom layer working away at making and delivering great products and a sticky middle layer that often slows down the ability of visions to be achieved and products to be delivered. I would be happy to share my thoughts on this and lead a discussion on the subject.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Mind Your Health, Along With The Product - Mental Health and Product Managers

As Product Managers, we have a lot on our plates. We have plenty of things to tend to, and fires to put out.

It's easy to let stress build up, but instead of dealing with it or asking for help, it's just as easy to ignore and plow on. What happens when you start to feel burnt out? Anxious? Depressed?

In this panel, I would like to discuss the importance of keeping your mental health in check, what you can do in times of need, and help reduce the stigma of mental illness.

This can also be a panel if…

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon