Sessions

From here you can submit a session idea and/or vote for session ideas you’d like to see presented. Be creative, the only limitation is your imagination. To submit a session start by using the search feature. To vote, click on the appropriate button on the session already submitted which interests you.

Be sure and specify in your description whether you are volunteering to lead the session, or if you are suggesting a session you’d like to attend.

You have 10 votes in total. You can always redistribute your votes if a great session gets submitted after you’ve used all 10.

Don’t forget to register to attend at:http://www.productcampvancouver.org. See you at ProductCamp Vancouver!

An idea for a great session would be...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. How to Build a High Impact Product Development Team

A foundational pillar of successful product management is effective leadership and influence within your team.

Often overlooked, our ability to engage, inspire and create a space for our engineering team to be active members of the product development process is one of the key differentiators between a thriving high velocity team and not.

In this session we will discuss the key lessons and tactics I have observed along the way to building this high performance culture within a team. From creating links directly between engineers and customers to facilitating team best practices and iterative improvement each tip will come with…

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Using Analytics to Understand Exactly Why Your Users Love Your Product and How to Improve It

Learn how to set up advanced analytics tools that give you insights into exactly how your product is being used and what you could do to improve it. Then learn how to take these insights and build them into a product roadmap that works.

85 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Panel: Advantages and Pitfalls of Working with Offshore and Distributed Teams

Sometimes, the best solution for building your product on time or on budget is to work with external teams, or to build/acquire internal teams in different geographies. This will be a panel discussion on tips, tricks, and gotchas that arise when venturing out from working with co-located teams.

Discussion topics:
        - Processes & tools to set your teams up for success
        - Communication strategies to keep everyone informed and building the right thing
        - Cultural considerations: Ensuring tact, clarity, and respect
        - Offshore teams vs. Distributed teams: Why choose one over the other?

Panel Participants:
        - Evgenia Fine: Product Manager…

74 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • The Surprising Fastest Way to Reach Product-Market Fit

When the Lean methodology and other Product Management best practices yield an 80% failure rate, there’s got to be a better way.

In this session, Alan Albert will introduce the Value Discovery process and show how you can use it to identify the Maximum Value Proposition and quickly reach product-market fit.

Imagine knowing, with certainty, what your customers truly care about — before building your product or even designing a single feature.

With this knowledge you can confidently predict:
          - Which products, features, and services will be most valued (and which ones are not worth building)
          - What positioning and…

74 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • What's in a title? Product Manager, Product Owner and Business Analyst.

Each title implies distinct responsibilities and measures of success, however in practice, the boundary between them can be less obvious and answering the question of what each one should involve will depend on who you ask. This presentation examines the roles of the product manager, product owner and business analyst and shares our view on the distinctions and overlap.

64 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • User Stories and Data

How do you incorporate measurement into standard user stories? Why is measurement always tacked on "at the end", and often with little oversight. What do we actually measure?

In this facilitated activity I'll share some methods for interweaving measurement into user stories without detracting from their user-centricity. We'll focus on:

Context: The problem context or situation
              Events: Events taken to rectify the problem
              Outcomes: What outcomes result from attempts to solve the problem

... and learn how to leverage that information to write INVESTable user stories that capture customer pains.

52 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • What Game Producers Know That You Don’t

Bungie’s Halo became one of the most popular video game franchises in history using a robust program of iterative user research. Data collected from users drove improvements to the game that were key to making the product sticky: easy to get into and hard to put down.

We’ll tell the story of how the Halo development team partnered with user experience researchers to iteratively test and dramatically improve the game. And this story has an important moral: all product managers can incorporate similar methods to achieve the same results.

52 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • What does a good business plan contain?

How do you convince your management that an idea is worth investing in? Is it a three year revenue plan? Customer/market segments? Differentiating features? Strategy to compete and win? ASP and unit sale analysis? Release plan? User acquisition plan? Association with some current industry trends like cloud, mobile or analytics?

37 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Guerilla Tactics for Faster Customer Feedback

There's nothing worse than building a beautiful feature, only to learn that your customers aren't going to use it.

In this session, Beth Nenniger will teach you how to employ guerilla recruiting, design & development tactics to short circuit your feedback cycle and build product features that matter.

36 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Admin →
                    • Not Another Reorg !!

Companies struggle with organizational alignment, especially with marketing. Reorganizing seems to be an annual occurrence in many companies. Yet, it can be much more productive to step back and understand your goals and the state of the market and teams before automatically assuming that re organizing is the answer. This interactive session will cover the key factors that are driving organizational alignment today, and provide real-life examples of successes and failures.

Come to this session armed with your questions and experiences to share.

31 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Admin →
                      • A day in the life of a Product Manager

I'm proposing a roundtable discussion. I often find myself wondering what a typical day is like for other Product Managers. I would love to get together to hear about what one looks like for other Product Managers.

The goal of all this would be to learn from each other and find things we can borrow and incorporate into our every day work lives.

29 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • The Corners We Cut

Are you stressed and anxious when new priorities coming from the top always trump your urges to polish the user experience? Don't be.
                          Thing is, a shiny product is a nice thing to have, but it's probably not the most important thing for the company. It's not at the top of its priorities.
                          Introducing the Chill Pyramid. Let's see what's at the top of priorities list when you consider the company, not just the product.
                          The most important thing is a value to shareholders. All the following comes from that.

22 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Balancing Enterprise Clients (Custom Work) with the Product Roadmap

We've all heard the story before... gotta do it because the client said so, gotta do it because this client keeps the lights on, we have no choice because we signed the contract already.

I wanted to get some thoughts from other Product Managers and start ups on how they prioritize the custom work with the product roadmap. I'm happy to lead the discussion but I just wanted to get some case studies, ideas, or frameworks that other people use to say no or negotiate with large clients to keep them happy without derailing your product roadmap.

21 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • The Truth. The Data. The Koolaid

Teams often lean on data as a proxy for trust. The "truth" exists somewhere in the middle. A short tutorial (including group exercises) exploring cognitive bias, the heart of experimentation, and how to build trust around a realistic use of qualitative and quantitative data.

20 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Are We Delivering Products Or Services?

How service design principles can flip the script on traditional product development. Hands on activities exploring multiple touch points, learning from improvisation, actors, the service blueprint, and journey maps.

Steve Jobs was recently described as a "service designer", who considered the multiple touchpoints Apple customers had with the brand. In a world where software is delivered and changed every hour, day, and week, are we in fact delivering a service instead?

18 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Crowdfunding a Marketing Strategy for your New Product/Service Launch

Launching a new product/service?

Crowdfunding can be part of your marketing strategy to drive energy and excitement around the launch of your product/service. Learn tips, tricks and strategies that can create a lot of buzz for your organization.

This will be a presentation with Ask Me Anything segment

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • The strategic role of product management

In this session we'll look at three practical ways for product managers to make their role more strategic - and more impactful.

1. Market intelligence (market, customer and competition)
                                    2. Strategy development for your product group
                                    3. Long-term roadmapping

I'll lead this session, and will share templates and approaches. I'll bring handouts.

Presented by Todd Birzer, Senior Director of Product Management at Lytx.

17 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Mind Mapping - Decomposing Product Requirements for Mere Mortals

When explaining your product design from the core vision down to the independent deliverables, the "Big Picture" can sometimes become obscured.

Mind mapping is a tool that can help you communicate the high level requirements from the lower level implementations.

In this session we will work together to break down a product into its sub components in a workshop style format.

Benefits of using Mind Mapping
                                      - Shows the path from Vision to Implementation
                                      - Improved requirements elicitation.
                                      - Improved communication to clients.
                                      - Assists "visual" learners.
                                      - Easier to pinpoint component integrations during implementation planning sessions.

The session will…

17 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Combating Analysis Paralysis

Today's mantra for product managers is to focus on data-driven user-centric decisions. Yet the reality is often that our data sets are incomplete and our users behave differently than they tell us they are going to. Despite all this, we still need to execute rapidly to have fighting chance of winning in the market.

How often does your product development get caught in that swampy purgatory of analysis paralysis?

As General Patton said, "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week."

In this session, we'll discuss the importance of execution & tactics to help…

16 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Back To Basics: Running A Tight Sprint

We've all heard of agile methodology and we all have an idea of how to run agile but how does work in practice with your development team? In this session, I'd like to share the processes we use to plan and operate our agile sprints. The goal of this session is to get ideas that all of us can take back to test with our teams to see if we can plan and run more effective sprints with our agile development teams.

14 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)