Sessions

From here you can submit a session idea and/or vote for session ideas you’d like to see presented. Be creative, the only limitation is your imagination. To submit a session start by using the search feature. To vote, click on the appropriate button on the session already submitted which interests you.

Be sure and specify in your description whether you are volunteering to lead the session, or if you are suggesting a session you’d like to attend.

You have 10 votes in total. You can always redistribute your votes if a great session gets submitted after you’ve used all 10.

Don’t forget to register to attend at:http://www.productcampvancouver.org. See you at ProductCamp Vancouver!

An idea for a great session would be...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Machine Learning for Product Managers

Understanding whether your product or feature is a candidate for machine learning and how to successfully launch it are challenges more PMs are facing everyday. While the target audience is with zero to an intermediate level of experience, I hope seasoned ML practitioners also join to participate in the discussion.

AGENDA:
    1) What is data science and machine learning? (and why the hype)

2) What is the role of a product manager in ML?

3) To ML or not to ML? Is my product/feature a candidate for ML?

4) What is the machine learning project life-cycle?
    - Identifying a proof…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Becoming a People Manager

For a lot of Sr. PMs becoming a people manager seems like the natural (and often the only) step to make in their career. They’ve managed to lead multiple teams to success, been able to become a top practitioner of their craft, and demonstrated influence across their department (or company). You’re ready to take things to the next level.

So what could possibly go wrong by becoming a manager? Lots, unfortunately.

In this talk by Eric Bin, Director of Product at Clio, he’ll take you through how different the role of being a manager is and what you’ll need to…

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. How PMs work with CEOs & Founders: negotiating your product roadmap so that customers benefit and your team doesn't go mad

How do small product management teams (1-4 PMs) work with founders and CEOs, to determine their product roadmap?

How do you keep your founders happy?
    How do you educate them on product management processes?
    When do you say 'No' and when do you say 'Yes but not right now"?
    How to deal with roadmap negotiations with the founder/CEO?

An interactive session where I will talk about some of the things I have learned as a product manager, working and negotiating with 3 different founders. And a chance for participants to share learnings.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Ditch the roadmap: Hard lessons in resetting Product Vision and Strategy

"Typical roadmaps are the root cause of most waste and failed efforts in product organizations." - Marty Cagan

Struggling to align your management and your product team on direction? Feeling overwhelmed with the endless backlog of epics that don't seem to gel together? Feel like everyone on your team is constantly second guessing your roadmap?

Maybe it's time to do a hard reset, for the sake of your product team morale and your own sanity. Learn some critical principles and real lessons in setting new Product Vision and Strategy with your entire product team. Share your own stories and help…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Product lessons learned from the trenches of a high growth, Silicon Valley startup

Time and time again, companies in Silicon Valley continue to innovate at an extraordinary pace. The methods and speed at which teams work down south is unparalleled. But, what’s different between the life of a Silicon Valley based PM and a Vancouver PM? Luckily at Segment I get to experience both in one job. In this talk I’ll go over some of the lessons (good and bad) I’ve learned in the trenches of product management at a high growth startup. It will sure to be controversial, thought provoking and actionable. Come and learn how you can bring a piece of…

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Trials and Triumph: Driving Adoption of a Replatformed Product

At ProductCamp 2018 the Clio team talked about how we went about replatforming our entire product and launched this to customers. A year later, hear how we drove adoption of the new version from 30% to 80% in 6 months, what we learned along the way, and what we'd do differently next time.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Gaining Your Unfair Advantage: Understanding Customer Perception of Value

Learn how discovering and actually measuring your Customers' Perception of Value can give you an unfair advantage in delivering:
    • Innovation that Matters
    • Marketing that Motivates
    • Pricing that Outperforms

Led by Alan Albert of MarketFit, this interactive session includes theory, how-to, and new case studies showing how you can unlock the power of truly knowing what your customers truly care about most.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Interview Questions

Asking the right questions is key to understanding customers and building products that they will use. Good questions dig into the real problems. Bad questions don’t give you actionable insights. And Ugly questions can lead you to the wrong conclusion.

In this interactive session, Dilan Ustek, User Research Lead at Clio will discuss what kinds of questions they use to build the right product for their users.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Product Owner in an Agile Environment

Being able to keep your priorities, while responding to change can be very challenging.

The way we work have changed significantly in the last 20 years. We moved from pre-planned, strict requirement based projects to running small experiments and constantly responding to change.

In this situation I want to discuss how PO's can succeed in this challenging situation.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Product Manager: Small Startup vs Big Organization - What's right for you?

How does a product manager operate in a small startup? Vs What does a product manager do at large organizations?

How are the roles and responsibilities different? What is the growth path? Where do you learn more? Is one better than the other?

Hear it first-hand from Pranab, who has founded his own company, worked for a $25M ARR startup, and also worked at Microsoft.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. How to run a remote team that works and achieves together, not in silos

Come and learn how to run fully remote and mixed teams. Dive deep into these topics:

- How to communicate and buid rapport
    - Setting up proper control systems
    - Creating timely feedback loops
    - How to grow people professionally in remote environment

Come out with a clear blueprint for each topic.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Growing leaders through coaching

Learn how to grow leaders through out your organization through coaching.

- Why coaching?
    - What should your mindset be?
    - What to focus on?

And of course a complete blueprint for coaching sessions that works.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Customer-centric Change Management - Lessons Learned at Hootsuite

After 10 years, we are on the eve of rolling out a new compose and content planning experience in Hootsuite that will fundamentally change how our users publish to their social networks.

We wanted the transition between experiences to be smooth and well received, so we set out on a journey - trying to figure out how to get over half a million users to voluntarily adopt our newly built publishing product.

This session will be a tale of our journey - the good, the bad and the ugly. Our goal is that you take-away some immediately executable tips for…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Filling the Blind Spots Left by Big Data

The explosion and popularity of Big Data has been instrumental in helping organizations better understand market patterns and buyer behaviour in B2B and B2C markets. Nonetheless there are significant blind spots left by big data in that it doesn’t tell us the “why” behind the patterns. This talk will present best practices in what managers can do after looking at big data to uncover deeper, more fundamental behavioural insights - the motivations behind why people behave as they do - that are critical to developing and managing new products.

Professor Silk specializes in brand management and new product development and…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Am I a Good PM? Am I a Bad PM? Evaluating Yourself and Your Team

As Product Managers, we are responsible for delivering outcomes but outcomes such as revenue are dependent on far more than just the product. How then can we know if we’re doing a good job?

As the Senior Director of Product at Hootsuite I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this topic. In an attempt to answer this question and help the Product Managers on my team understand their career and promotion trajectories I developed a ‘Product Management Performance Framework’ which we rolled out at Hootsuite last year (and continue to iterate on).

During this session I’d like to…

1.…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Partnering with Customer Success to Craft your Value Proposition

How do your customers get the most out of your product? How do you get the most out of your customers?

A defined and successful partnership between Product Management and Customer Success can lead to greater insights on how your customers measure your product's value. The Customer Success Department is in a unique position to be the customer advocate in the company and creating a plan with them to create a positive feedback loop with your users can be a powerful tool to guide your product roadmap and evolving value proposition.

Learn about Customer Success philosophies and strategies and how…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Running a startup - Globally

Great resources are hard to come by and in North America, people are expensive. It can be difficult for startups to get the necessary resources and at a rate that a startup can afford.

How do you get a global team
    How do you run a global team
    How do you create a product with a global team

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. From Good to Great Product Ownership, or why experience is not enough

Product Owners plant the seeds for excellent agile delivery teams. Great POs know how to plant the best seeds, seeds that the team can swarm around and deliver quickly, that provide rapid feedback and learning, and that morph towards excellent customer experiences. In some situations we need a good PO, in others we need a great PO. The trick is to know the difference. Join me on a journey of discovery working with contemporary examples to find out how to be a great PO or a good PO, and why you might, at different times, want to be both.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Product Manager as the Motivator: Helping your team find meaning in their work

As a software engineer turned product manager, I've always felt responsible for motivating my team with an effort to help them find meaning in their work, which ultimately helps us ship better product. After all, our job function is more about influencing without authority than anything else.

I'm Emir Aydin, the mobile product manager at Hootsuite and I will share strategies I use every day to help my teammates find meaning in their work.

I will start this interactive session with a presentation of successful strategies and stories, followed by discussion with the audience. You will get a chance to…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Growth Product Management

How’s it different from regular product management? What does the process look like? Do you still do roadmaps? As an individual product manager, is it possible to balance both style of product management?

These are a few of the questions we will answer together.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3

Sessions

Feedback and Knowledge Base